Pianos Inside Out - A Comprehensive Guide to Piano Tuning, Repairing and Rebuilding
- Calculated at Checkout
Howard Piano Industries
AMS Piano Tools
AMS Piano Tools
Schaff Piano Supply
About this item:
- WIDE RANGE CONCEPTS COVERAGE: Pianos Inside Out contains all of the accomplishments and understanding made by the piano business over the last 30 years, covering a wide variety of concepts from beginning to advanced. Wave impedance and soundboard performance, Coincident partial tuning, Interval inharmonicity, Touch weight analysis, String leveling, and Modern lubricants are only some of the topics covered.
- PROVIDES PRACTICAL STEP-BY-STEP GUIDANCE: Pianos Inside Out is a comprehensive look at the piano's history, design, and maintenance, as well as practical, step-by-step instructions for anybody wanting to learn how to tune, repair, regulate, voice, rebuild, or improve the action performance of pianos. The reader will learn how to examine the piano, determine what repairs are required, and devise a rebuilding strategy. He or she will learn how to refinish a case, pick and install new hammers, rebuild dampers, restring the piano, replace the pinblock, repair the soundboard, regild the plate, and restring the piano
- PRESENTS MORE ACCURATE DESCRIPTIONS & WARNINGS: Many books in this genre take a basic approach to piano playing, encouraging a casual and occasionally careless do-it-yourself attitude. Pianos Inside Out provides a "introduction to the profession and the scope of work involved that might encourage some people to become techs and others to forget about it," providing more accurate descriptions of—and warnings about—the complexities and pitfalls one is likely to encounter in this work (Laurence Libin, Editor-in-Chief, Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments).
- A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE FOR READERS: Pianos Inside Out isn't only a recipe book that regurgitates instructions from service manuals; it also demonstrates how to make your own recipes. Igrec explores the reasons for and dependencies among many parts of design, regulation, tuning, and voicing, in addition to suggesting methodologies and specifications, allowing the reader to form his or her own conclusions while getting a thorough understanding of this complicated subject.
- ALL ABOUT THE BOOK AUTHOR: Mario Igrec, a Croatian native, taught piano technology and worked as a piano technician at Louisiana State University for eight years. He has worked for Richard Goode, Jon Kimura Parker, Garrick Ohlsson, and other prominent pianists as an independent performance technician and master rebuilder, and has repaired and rebuilt many pianos throughout southern Louisiana. Igrec brings to the industry a unique perspective that bridges piano technology and pianism, as an award-winning pianist with a Master of Music degree from SUNY Stony Brook.
Pianos Inside Out is written for piano enthusiasts, students, and technicians, but it will also assist pianists and piano owners in better understanding their instruments and communicating with their technicians. The book contains over 700 images and diagrams, as well as clear, succinct, step-by-step directions. The book is "extremely articulate, yet has a casual readability and isn't off-puttingly wordy, unduly difficult, or presumptuously conclusive," with "Myth/Truth" boxes, as well as various sidebars, tables, worksheets, and troubleshooters (Allen Wright, RPT, consulting technician and restorer for Steinway & Sons London, John Broadwood & Sons, and Period Piano Company).
- No. of Pages: 539
- Language: English
- Book Format: Hardcover
- Edition: Illustrated
- Author: Mario Igrec
- Publisher: In Tune Press, 2013